Year 7 students are continuing to cook and eat their way through the Healthy Eating Pyramid. This week they are studying Grains. The recommended serving suggestions for teens is 4-6 serves per day. Students this week cooked Simple Fried Rice (see recipe below). They further developed their skills in peeling, finely dicing, and organisation.
Dakota “My fried rice was delicious. My dish was completed well and I didn’t burn anything. I liked the rice flavours.”
Flynn “It was yum. It was an easy dish to cook and healthy. It was very colourful with all the different veggies”
Oscar H. “I improved my knife skills, with cutting my bacon up small.”
Maddie “I enjoyed my Fried Rice. I want to cook this dish again.”
Simple Fried Rice - serves 1
· ½ cup pre-cooked rice
· 1/2 rashers bacon, finely diced
· 1 spring onion
· 2 tbs corn kernels, frozen, fresh or tinned
· 2 tbs peas, frozen, fresh or tinned, or beans, chopped
· 1/4 carrot, finely diced
· 1 tbs light soy sauce
· 1 tsp sesame oil
· 1 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook and have close at hand.
2. Heat oil in frying pan; wait until it is sizzling hot (drop a little water on to test if you are unsure).
3. Add bacon, corn, peas/beans, carrots and stir until lightly cooked.
4. Add rice. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring only once a minute.
5. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, and stir once a minute for another 2 minutes.
6. Move ingredients over to one side to leave some space in frypan, pour in egg and let cook for 30 seconds. With fork, scramble and then combine through rest of rice.